Capture the significant events of your graduation year here
WEEKLY MUSIC HITS OUR SENIOR YEAR
Sept 3,: ¬†'Its Now Or Never' ¬†by Elvis
Sept.10,12,21,Oct.1: 'The Twist' ¬†by Chubby Checker
Oct.15,22,29,Nov.5,12,19: 'Save The Last Dance For Me' by The Drifters
Nov. 26, Dec. 3,10,17,24,31: 'Are You Lonesome Tonight' by Elvis
Top Single 1960: 'Theme ' A Summer Place' ¬† ¬†Top Album 1960: 'The Sound Of Music'
Jan.7:'Wonderland By Night' by Bert Kaempfert & Orchestra
Jan.14,21: 'Exodus' by Ferrante & Teicher
Jan.28, Feb.4: 'Will You Love Me Tomorrow' by the Shirelles
Feb. 11,18,25,March ¬†4: 'Calcutta' by Lawrence Welk & Orchestra
March 11: 'Pony Time' by Chubby Checker
March 18,19: 'Surrender' by Elvis
April 1,15: 'Blue Moon' by the Marcels
April 22 and also May 20: 'Runaway' by Del Shannon
May 6,13 and also May27: 'Mother-In-Law' by Ernie K. Doe
June 3: 'Running Scared' by Roy Orbison
June 10: 'Traveln'Man' by Ricky Nelson
Top Single 1961 'Exodus' ¬† Top Album 1961 TIE 'Exodus' & 'Camelot'
Academy Awards 1960 & 1961
Best Picture: The Apartment
Best Director: Billy Wilder, 'The Apartment'
Best Actor: Burt Lancaster, 'Elmer Gantry'
Best Actress: Elizabeth Taylor, 'Butterfield 8'
Best Supporting Actor: Peter Ustinov, 'Spartacus'
Best Supporting Actress: Shirley Jones, 'Elmer Gantry'
Best Song: 'Never On Sunday' by Manos Hadjidakis
Best Picture: 'West Side Story'
Best Director(s): Jerome Robbins & Robert Wise, 'West Side Story'
Best Actor: Maximilian Schell, 'Judgement at Nuremberg'
Best Actress: Sophia Loren, 'Two Women'
Best Supporting Actor: George Chakiris, 'West Side Story'
Best Supporting Actress: Rita Moreno, 'West Side Story'
Best Song: 'Moon River,' from 'Breakfast at Tiffany's,' Henry Mancini, Johnny Mercer
Most Watched TV Shows 1960-61 from WWW60's.com
1. Gunsmoke - CBS
2. Wagon Train - NBC
3. Have Gun, Will Travel -CBS
4. The Andy Griffith Show - CBS
5. The Real McCoys - ABC
6. Rawhide - CBS
7. Candid Camera - CBS
8. The Untouchables - ABC
9. The Price Is Right - NBC
10. Jack Benny Program - CBS
11. Dennis the Menace - CBS
12. Danny Thomas Show - CBS
13. My Three Sons - ABC
14. 77 Sunset Strip - ABC
15. The Ed Sullivan Show - CBS
16. Perry Mason - CBS
17. Bonanza - NBC
18. The Flintstones - ABC
19. The Red Skelton Show - CBS
20. Alfred Hitchcock - NBC
1961 what items cost
Courtesy of The People History
What events happened 1961
General Information our Senior Year and 1961, No Order
1. ¬†Freedom Riders started through the South, Experienced violence and arrest
2. ¬†New T.V. Shows: Car 54 Where are You, Docor Kildare, Hazel, Ben Casey, Dick Van Dyke,
¬† ¬† Wide World of Sports, Sing Along With Mitch
3. ¬†Pillesbury Dough Boy Introduced
4. ¬†Trial of Adolf Eichmann in Jerusalem
5. ¬†Lee Harper,'To Kill A Mockingbird,' wins Pulitizer
6. ¬†Bob Dylan debut in Greenwich Village
7. Floyd Patterson KO's Ingermar Johanson to win back heavyweight crown
8. ¬†Nelson Mandela aquitted of treason after 40 years in jail
9. ¬†Deaths: Gary Cooper, Erness Hemingway, Ty Cobb, Chico Marx, Emily Post, Johnny Horton 33, ¬†
¬† ¬† Ward Bond, Clark Gable, Oscar Hammerstein II, Grandma Moses
10. Holonayk invents the digital display for calculators and electric watches
11. The first weather satellite is launched
12. ¬†Cassius Clay wins the gold in boxing
13. First felt tip pen
14. 'Lady Chaterleys Lover' is ruled not obscene
15. Motown Records starts up
16. Ray Krock starts McDonalds
17. People build Fall Out Shelters
18. Paul Newman is in 'The Hustler'